NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

These Boots Were Made for Squishing

We only got a chance to wander around the Greenbrier section of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park once while on our trip in October.  We drove out to the end and parked at the Porter's Creek trailhead.



I spent some time turning over smalls rocks and rotting wood looking for salamanders but only saw one tiny guy who was so small and fast I almost missed seeing him at all.  Mostly what I saw was leaves.  And rocks.  Big rocks.



I even thought ahead and brought my boots, but no amount of squishing around in mucky spots produced the salamanders I was looking for.  It was fun looking though.





We also made a quick stop to the spot where you can turn off and go over the bridge to the Ramsay Cascades trailhead.


I pulled my boots back on and waded out into the water for some special views you can't get from the road.



I never would have been able to get out in the spring, it was above my boot tops and a little fast even at this time of year in spots.

We also had a wildlife spotting after we got back in the truck and were leaving.  More on that later!

1 comment:

  1. I am so loving your trip reports - great photos and wonderful looking hikes.

    ReplyDelete