NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

In Algoma

When Katrina joined me in Algoma on Sunday we headed into town to visit the Von Stiehl winery which is the oldest winery in Wisconsin.  I stood around (and bought a box of 4 chocolates) while she sampled wine.  She recommends the Oktoberfest.  I don't recommend the Mayana chocolates.


Algoma was one of the few towns in the area to escape the inferno that was the Peshtigo fire in October of 1871, the worst recorded forest fire in North American history raged through Northeastern Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, destroying millions of dollars worth of property and timberland, and taking between 1,200 and 2,400 lives.  Katrina told me the story in the car and it's the "forgotten fire" because it happened on the same day as the Great Chicago Fire.  It's an interesting story and next time I visit Katrina I'll swing into the Peshtigo Fire Museum...they even have a mural.  That all has nothing to do with the Pierhead Light pictured above, it was brought here to replace a wooden one in 1932.  Just a little randomness for ya.


After viewing what we could/couldn't of the Light we walked along the marina for a few minutes before making our way back to the car.  The highlight was watching the boat coming in with the dog leading the way.


Algoma is also home to Wienke's Market, familiar to Wisconites at local grocery stores.  I've personally bought their dark chocolate covered cherries, (the chocolate could be a little less waxy, but I'm picky about my chocolate) their cherry pie filling and their jam.  You know I was in jam heaven when we stopped there.  I chose the blueberry cherry for something a little different.


After stopping at the store to pick up the first pumpkin flavored beer of the season, Katrina entertained herself by taking selfies in the tent.  I entertained myself by mocking her, and then we spent an hour listening to ringtones on iTunes for my phone.  If you call me I'll now hear "I'm On Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons.  If Katrina calls me I'll hear "All About That Bass" by Megan Trainor.  The great thing about free wifi (which I don't get when I stay at WI state parks) is that we propped up the laptop and watched "Clueless" on Amazon until bedtime.  Tent camping ain't what it used to be!


We stayed at site 6 at Big Lake Campground, which is mostly a seasonal place for fishermen.  The wooded sites behind us looked nice, but due to the heavy rains of the past few weeks they were infested with mosquitos.  The sites in front of us looked like this.


It was a bit pricey at $35 in my opinion, but it was only for a night.  I took advantage of the electric hookup and charged laptop, plus used my teakettle to make us some David's Tea mint chocolate rooibos from Quebec that my sister-in-law gave me when we were in Newfoundland in May.  I HIGHLY recommend getting your hands on some of that if you can!  I just hopped on their website ans see their flavor of the month is cinnaberry rooibos...



As I mentioned in yesterday's post fog greeted us in the morning, but that didn't stop me from enjoying my tea with a couple of slices of cherry cinnamon bread that I bought at the Farmer's Market earlier that day.


I'll tell you about that tomorrow and then it's up the peninsula we go!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, the lighthouse wasn't covered when we were there. Although maybe that explains the outhouse. We went to the Peshtigo museum several years ago. What a tragedy. People jumped in the river to escape but many died anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't ever tell me you hear Rocky Top when I call you. I hate that song! Maybe "On The Road Again" would work! We've been to the Peshtigo Fire Museum and it really is very worthy especially for a small town museum. It was a planned lunch stop on a long driving day from Door County to Munising, MI. I always look for some small town attraction to break up a trip and give us a rest. We were drawn by the museum and ended up spending way too much time there and learning a lot about something with which we were totally unfamiliar. It's a great memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Pam. I live in the middle of the Sonoma Valley Wine Country (they always capitalize it, meh) but would rather spend my day sampling chocolate! I hate the waxy stuff too: quality chocolate should melt in your mouth and coat your tongue with goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What in the world is that dress the lighthouse is wearing??? Made me laugh to see it. Seems like a modesty curtain or is it just my eyes. Wow $35 for a tent site? I can see for an RV site with w/e but that seems steep for a tent site. Glad you took advantage by watching a movie in your tent. If you don't recommend the chocolates, do you recommend the movie?? Esther Price Chocolates from Dayton Ohio are my absolute FAVE! I had no idea about this obviously major fire. It really has been overlooked. Thanks for the tip on seeing the museum.

    ReplyDelete