NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, May 13, 2016

The Mountains are Calling and I Must Go


While waiting for Sharon to meet me in Maggie Valley I took a drive up to the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I thought I'd check out the Balsam Mountain Road which is a gravel one way road rumored to be a late spring wildflower hotspot.


Unfortunately for me I did not check the park website for closures or I would have known that it is closed until May 22nd.  No matter, I parked in the lot outside the gate and walked up the paved section of road to see how far a trail head might be.

Squirrel Corn or Spider Corn?

After a mile and a half I still hadn't found a trailhead or the paved Balsam Mountain Road so I just enjoyed the spring wildflowers and the mountain views.


It left my legs very tired after a total of 8.5 mountain miles for the day, but who could resist the call of the mountains?


We're headed for the shore as we travel east, I wonder how if it could ever call to me the way the mountains do?  Don't worry, two more mountain posts coming up first!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful views of the mountains! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice views, shame it was closed

    ReplyDelete
  3. We thoroughly enjoyed our time staying in Cherokee and prowling Maggie Valley and surrounding area back in 2010.

    ReplyDelete