NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, August 28, 2020

Staycation Newfoundland - Scenic Green Bay

 Newfoundland is still only allowing visitors from the Atlantic Provinces to maintain our non-existent (only cases in months have been from returning travelers in self-isolation) Covid-19 status.  Newfies are all on-board with this policy, and have also embraced the province's Staycation suggestion.  Newfoundlanders are exploring their own province like never before, and I figured I better get in on that before summer was over.


My first stop was the Appleton Peace Park which has a steel beam from the Twin Towers.  Appleton is a small town outside Gander, where 38 planes carrying 6,700 passengers were forced to land when the Twin Towers were hit. The generousity of Newfoundlanders is legendary, but you'll have to "come from away" another year due to the pandemic I'm afraid.


Then it was on to Springdale in scenic Green Bay, just 7miles off the TCH and home to Glassy Beach.  The tiny cove was the site of a former landfill and many shards of now smoothed glass.  Much less than in previous years though as many visitors take bags full home with them.  I left what I found for others to enjoy.


It was getting dark and I was without a place to put my tent.  Glassy Beach was too small and eventually I found myself at the trailhead for Indian River Walking Trail.  I set up in the dark and the rain, and woke to a beautiful morning!


The trail system starts with a boardwalk along the saltwater marsh and continues along the river.


I saw a few ducks and few crows, but luck wasn't with me to see any more birds than that.


The trail was 40 minutes roundtrip and completely flat, an easy walk with lovely views.


Appleton yesterday, Green Bay this morning, you'd almost think I was in Wisconsin. I wanted to show Newfoundland that my heart is with Kenosha and the troubles happening there as I roam the Green Bay area today.  Kenosha I love you, everyone be safe!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say hi, from NC...and thanks for taking me on a simple walk in NF...which I will probably never visit. Not that I wouldn't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete