NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

In Love With Lady Slippers

The Lady Slippers I saw at Scuppernong Prairie recently were so cute I couldn't "pick" just one.


Of course I didn't physically pick any...that's against the law.  The ranger about had a heart attack when he saw someone passing a bloom around.  They swear it was already broken off and laying on the ground.


Cypripedium candidum grows in prairies where there is moisture but full sunlight.  The "slipper" is 3/4 to 1 inch long, usually with some slight "veination" or purple speckling of the pouch.  Isn't it just darling?


We didn't see as many of the larger yellow ones, and they were difficult to photograph for some reason.  I shot them in late morning light, in shade and again that evening an hour before sunset.  Shade turned out to be best for capturing the canary yellow.

Greater Yellow Lady's Slipper

We also lucked upon a handful of hybrids between the yellow and the white!  They were a lovely creamy color and also larger in size.


These next two I shot closer to sunset, you can see the difference in the color of the greenery, but the blooms themselves weren't affected too much by the light difference.



And in case you can't decide which color you like best, maybe black and white is more your style!


I'm hoping to see more varieties in Door County, I don't think that's too much for the birthday girl to ask, do you?  That and not too much hassle from the mosquitoes is all the gifts I need for my 46th birthday!

Speaking of things I'm in love with, any other fans of  "Orange is the New Black" out there?  I watched the first season on Netflix when we were in Reno and the entire second season is available now.  Even better...this kitten parody of the show.


4 comments:

  1. I saw some lady's slippers on the weekend that were a little different to yours but it was very exciting! The slippers are indeed quite large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful flowers. I like all your photographs. Oh - by the way - happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how many people are seeing lady slippers. I always have to hunt so hard for them. I've never seen those subtle white ones before. Only yellow and pink. Your photos were outstanding. Wish I'd been there to see them in person but your pictures are seriously the next best thing. Really fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Pam! I never saw so many lady slippers. There's something about them that's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete