NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

You Can Take the Boy Out of the Bay but You Can't Take the Bay Out of the Boy

Okay, are you ready for a crash course in Newfie slang?  I can't replicate the accent of course, but let's see if I can tell a story...and let's see if you know what I'm on about because Lard tunderin' der's more slang in Newfoundland den der is icecaps on da water!

Wayne and his brother Jim

Even though the sun was splittin' rocks while we were home Wayne spent most of his waking hours on the beer and it didn't take long before he looked like he'd been hauled through a knot hole.  And all dat drinkin' wit da b'ys works up quite an appetite.


When we're home someone is usually cookin' up a scoff, but this time the lobster boil was pretty much it.  Someone promised me a rabbit stew...lucky for them I wasn't there long enough to get crooked about it.  I was on the go the whole time, havin' a fine time of me own.  


Didja hear the Ambrose Shea lift bridge gots ta go?  Sin!  Shockin'!  Don't worry, the B'ys are workin' harder than a one-legged man in an ass kickin' contest tryin' to get 'er done.

New construction alongside the old bridge

Ambrose Shea lift bridge 2010


A long look in case it's gone when we return in 2015

What can I say about Wayne's family? Saucy?  Don't be talkin'!  Oh, me nerves!

Wayne's the baby, but not the silliest of the bunch

Wayne's mother is sweeter than molasses.  A Mother's love is a blessing, and she is certainly an angel to put up with all the nonsense and foolishness that her crowd gets up to.   Lucky when we took the picture below I hadn't been out beatin' the streets in the wind or I woulda looked right streelish.


There's nothing more colorful than Newfie put-downs in my opinion.  Here's a few that are dandy, but if ya wants a real good laugh pick up a copy of "Dictionary of Newfoundland and Labrador".  

Whoever knit you wasted their yarn.
There's nobody home but your mother, and she's gone.
She's on the road more than on the pavement. (loose morals)
She's not lazy, she was born tired.
If I had a face like yours I'd walk backwards.

We're not the only Newfies on the road, Sassy's on 'Da Road too, though we haven't had the pleasure of meeting her yet I know a few others have.  Any of you blogging rv'ers who've been lucky enough to run across a Newfie in your travels will know what a warm and welcoming people they are...when you can understand what the heck they're talking about, that is!

When I was a girl I loved the Newfie Joke books by Bob Tulk. When I found copies of the first 3 volumes at Biblo.com today I ordered them right away, laughter is the best medicine for whatever ails you after all. 

This week I finished reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King which deals with the subject of time travel and one of the book group questions in the back was along the lines of where would you go if you could travel in time?  That's a tough one.  I have a lot of happy memories from visiting Newfoundland when I was about 7 years old one Christmas...or do you try to do something important like the character in King's book whose mission was to stop Kennedy's assassination?  What do you think?

P.S.
The King book was well written throughout, including the ending which is an area he usually struggles with so give it a read!  Whenever he doesn't focus too heavy on the things that go bump in the night he seems to be more cohesive.  After all, it doesn't take slimy monsters to frighten, does it?

2 comments:

  1. Great brogue, great post…
    "The beer by's would surly be proud as puke." :)
    Box Canyon Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Well done fur sur. I liked 11/22/63. Actually better than many of his other books. I think King is a good writer behind all the gory business. Would I go. Of course and I might not come back given the way things are going. You've been a mighty busy girl back posting. Many thanks! I love hearing from you. And thanks for the proofreading. Fixed the error. Can I hire you part time???

    ReplyDelete