NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Custer Park's Sylvan Lake and The Needle's Eye

Even if you don't realize it, you've probably seen Sylvan Lake.  I recognized it in a commercial recently.  It looks a little something like this.



Wayne and I hiked the 1.5 mile loop trail around the lake in 2009, and the pictures above are from that hike.  My Mom and I hiked around it in 2011 in the early morning.  My advice would be to check it out in the late morning or in the afternoon as it was too shadowy and chilly before the sun got a chance to reach it.



Both Sylvan Lake and the Needle's Eye are located along the Needles Highway.  Don't bring your RV on this road, tight turns and narrow rock tunnels are part of the 14 miles of breathtaking scenery. It was completed in 1922 and definitely isn't for anyone in a hurry, so slow down and enjoy the ride.  Going through the 8' 4" wide by 12' 0" high Needles tunnel  we had to pull in the mirrors on our truck and hold our breath, but seeing the Needle's Eye granite formation on the other side was worth it. 



4 comments:

  1. I was wondering how I missed this but now I see the Little House on the Highway would never had made it. Thanks for showing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite places in the Black Hills! I've seen large tour buses squeeze through some of those tunnels. Quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were there in August 2012. Loved Sylvan lake...we want to go back and do the Sunday Gulch Loop Trail. Here's our blog from that day: http://travelbug-susan.blogspot.com/2012/08/wildlife-and-needles-highway-fri-aug-24.html

    ReplyDelete