NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, January 3, 2014

Getting Up to Some Mischief in the Hallways and Stairways in the Capitol

 Inside the Capitol building in Madison visitors are treated to the unique textures of 43 varieties of stone from six countries and eight states. That red strip above the green columns, those green pillars, the stairs, the floors, the balustrades, and even the dome itself all limestone, marble and granite from near and far.


 In the rotunda is marble from Greece, Algeria, Italy, and France, along with Minnesota limestone, Norwegian syenite (Labradorite) and red granite from Waupaca, Wisconsin. Other Wisconsin granites are located throughout the public hallways on the ground, first, and second floors.



The red granite from Waupaca was especially beautiful, I couldn't take my eyes off the pattern and sheen

While traversing the stairways in the Capitol, make sure to keep an eye out for fossils.  We had help finding the "special hidden starfish" along with its great story, but this starfish fossil on the fourth step of the Grand Stairs of the North Wing we found easily on our own. There were some other types of fossils to be found near the stairways but there was so much else to see that I didn't get time to search them out.



The lighting fixtures were beautiful also, and Madison's Capitol has always been electrified due to the nearby Madison Gas & Electric Steam Plant nearby which ran off burning coal.


Just when you think you've seen it all on the tour, we came around a corner and stumbled upon a wedding shoot.  About 20,000 weddings are performed here a year I think our guide said.  I found a great link to a wedding photographer's site with lots of cool shots done in the Capitol.   It would make me want to get married if I wasn't already taken!  I'm sure the professional photographers get great light and take full advantage of all that gorgeous stone with the right array of equipment.  I had a little trouble "shooting on the move" with my handheld Canon SX50, but I did the best I could.



Every hallway we walked down was different, and the one below had skylights in the floor to allow the natural light to pass through.  How cool is that?

One of my favorite photos from our trip

We got up to a little mischief while waiting for Dave to use the men's room.  We probably shouldn't have.  It's probably the kind of thing that is frowned upon in buildings that are on the National Historic Register and normally I'm not the type to break rules.  Jeanna was tempted...and I encouraged her so I could photograph it.  This was the result of getting the two of us mischief makers together.


Think the photo is fun?  Check out the YouTube video.  All I could think of afterward is that Jeanna keeps me young and I should hang out with her more often.  Our tour isn't over yet...keep checking back!


8 comments:

  1. Ohhh how sassy on the bannister!

    (but I think I would have done it too!)

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great tour. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee-hee! You troublemakers! :) Love all the ornate stone. (And I have the same Asics shoes as you!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful building. Thanks for the tour and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I'd slide down the banister. In fact I'd do it facing the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful building I can see why you took so many photos. Did you go down the banister? Having fun is what keeps you young and your doing ok there

    ReplyDelete
  7. the building reminds me much of the interior of the QVB building (Queen Victoria Building) in Sydney too - lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely Capitol building. I find I have the same problem with my SX50 ... it's just not fast enough for action shots, especially indoors where the lighting becomes a challenge. Still, I love it for what it is ... an all around camera for the blog.

    ReplyDelete