NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

US Grant Hotel - A San Diego Flashback Post

This post is from my trip to San Diego in 2018


Created by Ulysses S. Grant Jr., the hotel opened its doors in 1910.  It underwent extensive renovation in the 1980's after being saved from the wrecking ball in the '70's and being added to the list of National Historic Sites.


In 2003 it was purchased by the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Indians whose ancestral land the hotel was built upon.

Chairpersons of the Sycuan Band of Kumeyaay

Down below the main floor I found this large safe.  I wonder if it was for the hotel's business use or for the guests?


And then found myself in the Crystal Ballroom, admiring the painted ceiling.


The times when attention to detail like this are unfortunately long gone.


There was a collection of historic items on display, I won't spoil it for you by showing it all, but I adored this old postcard!


1 comment:

  1. What a great building...and I'm thrilled to read the Grant is owned by the Natives who owned the land originally...a band of which I'd never heard before. I hope they are successful in running it. The artifacts all around (including the safe) are stunning.

    ReplyDelete