NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, August 2, 2019

Home..For a Decade or Two

Hard to believe it, but we have been in our new home for 6 weeks already!


After traveling 1900 miles and living in an RV with 4 cats for 7 weeks we were quite thrilled to have a place to finally call home.


 Not much can fit in an 18 foot cargo trailer (though more than we originally thought was able to be squeezed in) so after the trailer was unloaded it was time to head to St. John's to fill it up again.


We bought beds, sofas, tables, and all the day to day necessities.  And what home is complete without an adorable welcome mat?


We weren't the only ones happy to be out of the camper, the cats enjoyed exploring all the new nooks and crannies.



Not many places to climb in the new place, but eventually they figured out how to navigate to the top of the refrigerator and beyond.


I've never hired someone else to do the painting before, but hiring Joe to paint the 4000 square feet of walls was the best money I've ever spent.  It took him 18 days and we were able to carry on getting other things done worry free.


Wayne got the garage organized while I got the unpacking done and opened all the Wayfair boxes.  His brother Harold helped out with a few projects, and even nephew Craig pitched in when it came time to put up a few light fixtures.


I probably was Wayfair's best Newfoundland customer for the month of June, and highly recommend them especially if you're looking for a light fixture that isn't found at Home Depot.



Every day it was start the work at 8:00 a.m. and fall into the bed at 11:00 p.m.  Now you know why I've been completely absent from blogging.


During the madness we had a few relatives drop by, including my Nan Griffin.  Being 91 years old doesn't keep her from getting out and about.


Not to be outdone, Wayne's mother stopped by for a brief visit herself.  Being almost 98 years old wasn't going to stop her from at least having a quick look and meeting all of our cats.


 Things slowly came together and before you knew it we were ready for overnight visitors even!

One of three guest bedrooms

Even our bedroom started to become an oasis at the end of the day.


 Last summer we took the boat Wayne's father had built back to Wisconsin with us, and this year it made the return trip by ferry.

Chairs, rug, lamp and light fixture by Wayfair - thanks to Gail for helping me with all my orders!

Just two days before our big Housewarming Party the living room rug finally showed up and things were finally feeling ready to open our doors.


All that was left for big projects was the basement which Wayne and his brother drywalled and then Wayne and I painted.  We hired out the installation of the laminate floors to the fellas at The Paint Shop in Placentia.  Thanks, guys!


And every day I would look out our bedroom window at our RV and not be sad at all that we were not on the road seeing the world!


Next up - Flower beds and Housewarming guests!

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely home in an even more lovely place. I am still so captivated by the enigma that is Newfoundland, as the place and its people left a profound impact on me that I hope I never forget. I am so very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine abode! It's good to get back to one's roots for a while. I hope to see some XC skiing photos in a couple/three months. Cheers!
    mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have missed something along the way, 'cause I didn't realize you'd made the big decision to retire (I assume), and move back to the 'Rock'! Of course I was in the hospital for 7 months last year, which might account for me being out of touch. Looks like a wonderful house you've found. Looking forward to all sorts of posts from Newfoundland.

    ReplyDelete