NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Saturday, August 10, 2019

Questions About the Past - Bay Trip Part 3

When we approached Green Cove the first thing we noticed was a chimney out on the hill.


Might as well have been a magnet on that chimney, right?  So I set off along the beach, taking time to admire the local scenery along the way.


This time I wore my Keen water sandals and splashed along in the salt water, enjoying the crunch of the rocks and the soothing coolness on my hot feet.

Lots of pink in the submerged beach rocks

As I made my way around the cove the angle of the light changed the color of the water.


Wondering what the logs are about?  Jim told me that was where the boardwalk that circled the cove was located.  I bet that made walking from one cove to the next much easier than picking over the rocks like I had to do!


There were abandoned lobster pots on both of the points I visited as well as stacked up near the cabin.  

Lovely purple Harebells (Campanula rotundifolia) blowing in the wind by the lobster pot

An opening in the trees just past the lobster pot led me up onto the hill where I got mesmerized by these views:



And from the top of the hill I could see down into Anne's Cove, where Wayne's father grew up.


The chimney and foundation that still remain are all that's left of the schoolhouse.  How many kids went to school there?  Who was their teacher?  What resources did they have so far off the beaten path?  


Only 21 households in St. Anne's, remember? St. Kyran's and St. Leonard's had their own school, (which you can find in my post from last year) so not many children at any given time. What did it look like in those 2 small coves with a school and 21 houses? 


A look at Anne's Cove and the remains of the school while we ponder those questions:


Up next, our hike from the wharf in St. Kyran's out to the Church of the Assumption and meeting up with other visitors in St. Leonards.

If you missed them here are the links for the previous posts:
Getting Across the Bay - Part 1
Wandering St. Anne's - Part 2

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I love the video, and salute you for holding the camera so well while walking...I'd have many dips and jerks if I did it! Lovely to see this beauty al around you!

    ReplyDelete