NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Bitty Bergs on the Skerwink Trail - Out to Skerwink Head

The only icebergs I've seen this year were on the Skerwink trail about 6 weeks ago in mid-June.  But you don't hike the Skerwink Trail in Port Rexton/Trinity East for the icebergs, (one of the top 35 trails in North America and Europe, by the way) you hike it for the views.


The 5.3 km loop trail starts with a short walk from the parking area on the main road and even before I got to the sea stacks I stopped and admired the beautiful blooms in someone's lawn.


I've seen the photos from the Skerwink Trail before, but seeing the views from the trail is indescribable.  The smell of the salt air, the breeze on my face, the sound of the water lazily lapping against the shore... and then the assault on the eyes of the jagged rock against the smooth blue water is something that a picture just doesn't capture.


Views like this within a 1 km walk on level ground? Heaven on earth!


And to top it all off, most of these photos were taken with my iPhone.  I used both the Canon 70D and the iPhone and even with a polarizing filter on the DSLR the iPhone was the winner.  That doesn't happen often, but it's why I use both when I can.


If you don't like heights or just wanted a short jaunt on a hot day you could turn around and be well satisfied. But for those of us who always want more the trail continues on and is level most of the way out towards Skerwink Head with the exception of a few staired areas.


Keep an eye for moose, they've been spotted in the area! And fox, and eagles, and don't forget whales. Unfortunately I didn't seen any wildlife, but my eyes were too busy seeing everything else to care.  If you want a chance at whale sightings you might want to wait until early July when they are following the capelin.

Skerwink Head in the distance

It's about 2.5 km total out to Skerwink Head, and please stick to the trail.


 Walking out onto the tipped up headland was a unique feeling - again, watch out for the edge!  I left a little painted puffin on the ground for someone to find.


I searched the bird covered rocks, but no actual puffins.  They like a bit of dirt to dig their burrows after all.  Plenty of other seabirds were making use of them though.


The zoom I had packed with me was not quite enough to get good detail, but maybe your eyes are better than mine and can pick out how many birds are tucked in the crevices.


 As I inched up the incline on the headland, suddenly a whole new vista exploded into view, complete with bitty bergs!


And yes, photos taken with the iPhone.  Amazing!  I did need the DSLR and it's zoom lens for the bitty berg's close-up though.  Look at the color!


I kneeled down close to the edge and enjoyed the view for a bit, scouring the water for signs of seals or other wildlife. 

Look, Ma, baby icebergs! 

I also eyed up the continuation of the trail and debated whether to continue onward or to turn back like I saw the folks who had arrived before me do.


But of course I continued onward.  Maybe I wouldn't get back to this trail again soon, after all there is a lot in Newfoundland I have yet to explore.


 So, one last look at Dry Cove Beach and then away I went!

3 comments:

  1. What a great hike...and thanks for taking photos to share with us here (who don't do rugged hikes any more!) The baby ice bergs were certainly a find! So were all those birds nesting! Glad you had the zoom for them...phone cameras have limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete