NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, April 19, 2013

Duck, Dodge, Scamper and Squelch


After all the water I saw in Fort Atkinson, I was happy that I brought my new boots along with me for my next stop.  Just a few miles down the road lay Lima Bog State Natural Area, and I was determined to see what it might be hiding.  

State Natural Areas in Wisconsin are usually open to hunting, and hunters tend to lay down a faint footpath, but there usually aren't any established trails.  I parked in the small area next to a local farm, pulled on my new boots I found at The Rack last fall, and set off in search of boggy treasure.

The "trail" started out fairly easy to see, and just meandered alongside the farmer's land.  I kept my eyes, and my nose, alert for signs that a bog was nearby.
 
I left the trail for a moment to make sure I wasn't missing the secret path to the bog, but after ducking under branches and dodging all kinds of thorny undergrowth, all I found was some old farm equipment that I was fortunate not to trip over.
  
 Back  on the path it didn't take long for me to hit a pretty big obstacle in the form of a very large downed tree that looked to have been there quite a while.  Underneath the log looked like ankle twisting territory, so I scampered up on top and kept going.


It wasn't far to a cattail marsh from there, and what looked promising on the other side for the site of the bog from the type of trees growing there. It was a bit squelchy, but I kept at it until my thighs started getting tired.  Even though the water only got close to the top of my boots a couple of times, I decided to head back for the woods and just take a trip out to Beulah Bog on another day.   Now that I have boots I can tramp around to my heart's content and see what I couldn't access last time I visited

Peacock boots on clearance...score!

I was almost back to the car when my eyes caught sight of something small crossing the trail ahead. 



But, one can only spy on a chipmunk for so long, so I said farewell to him and to the bovine guards in the field by my car and mooo-ved on. 

3 comments:

  1. When you said boots I thought walking boots, the nice ones you had on look like wellingtons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure no hint of spring in those woods yet...
    Box Canyon Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures of the chipmunks. Beautiful blog. Greetings, Joke

    ReplyDelete