NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Eyes Like a Hawk


When Cory was little we used to say he had eyes like a hawk because he was always spotting things before we did.  Today I had eyes like a hawk, and spotted this red tailed hawk on the side of the road.

The first time I stopped to try to get a shot I thought it flew off, but when I turned around the car it was back in the same spot again.  I parked across the road and it fluttered off again, but this time I paid closer attention and noticed it just moved down into the ditch out of sight.

I waited a bit to see if it would reappear, and when it didn't I took a chance and crossed the road on foot to try to get a shot.  At this I point I figured it was either guarding supper or maybe injured.

When I got across the road, there it was, and it let me get as close as 20 feet and shoot away.





Eventually I left the poor red-tailed hawk in peace.  If it's injured, hope it heals up soon so it can get up in the air and put those hawk's eyes to good use.  Great short article on why a hawk's vision is so sharp here. As an eye care professional I found it especially enlightening.  But let's not forget that hooked beak... that's a serious hunting tool as well!

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bird we have Red Kites and Buzzards but I could not get that close to get a good shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letting you approach that closely, I would guess it is probably injured. It's an adult red-tailed hawk, so should have flown off at your approach. :(

    Great pics, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy, I was wondering if it was an adult or juvenille.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic photos! How lucky you were to get so close. I too hope the hawk makes a fast recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor thing; I hope it heals and is able to fly off again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If not injured, it could have been sitting on its dinner, waiting for you to leave, so that it could eat.

    ReplyDelete