NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, March 7, 2014

Heat Wave in Menominee

I drove 4 hours after work yesterday to get to Menominee, Michigan to visit Katrina for the weekend.  High today is supposed to hit 36F...it's a heat wave, even the waitress at the Serving Spoon told me so this morning.


The snowbound cow above needs glasses even though it doesn't seem to have eyes.  Ponder that a moment.


When I drove to breakfast I passed the old First National Bank and remembered to stop and get a shot of it showing the great architecture that I missed on the side when I saw it in December.


I tossed off a few shots on full auto on my NEW CANON 70D.



I'm still trying to adapt to how fast that shutter flies when I hit the button.  I drove all the way down First Street along the water to see what might be out there and ran across a few icebound boats.


I'm not happy with the exposure, but standing on the bridge with the frigid wind blowing right through you is not the time to figure out your controls on your new camera.  I also bought a laptop just a few weeks ago and haven't uploaded a photo editing program to it yet so all I was able to do to was crop, which so far is more than I'm able to do on Wayne's work laptop!


So, here I sit in the Spies Public Library, trying not to become snowblind from the huge windows that overlook the lakefront while gulls wheel past.  I arrived 15 minutes before opening so I had a little time to read my camera manual.  This "Q" button idea is pretty awesome, I can quickly get to all my favorite setting options like white balance, continuous shooting, and lighting.  Later today I'm meeting Katrina at her work and we're going to a school for me to shoot one of her presentations for the kids.  Had to find that setting for florescent light!  When I ordered the camera I also ordered a 50mm lens but when I gave it a quick try the other day I didn't feel it did anything my zoom wasn't doing.  Maybe I was shooting the wrong subjects, but I bought it for architecture and when I shot the front of my work building with both lenses I didn't see a lot of difference.  I returned it yesterday and am going to try something else instead.

Smells like they recently shampooed the carpets in here so I'm wrapping this up and heading back out into what constitutes a heat wave in the Upper Midwest. I need to figure out how to shoot with the snow by tomorrow because we're heading up to the Munising area to find those ice caves!

5 comments:

  1. Get a wide angle lens…they are great for panorama, close quarters where you can't step back far enough, and they concentrate color and make for sharper images!!! You can still crop them later and zero in on subject. Ideally a wide angle zoom, say 18 to 35mm, with cropping, that lens should be good for 90 percent of your photos. Only distant wildlife shots require a lens change…but with magnification you sacrifice deeper colors and sharpness…I crop my wide angle shots down pretty far to bring wildlife closer. If you go a fixed wide angle, at least 18 or slightly wider. But an 18 to 35 is great and versatile.
    BTW…grey skies make for grey photos. It's easy to shoot good photos on snow because it tends to stop down the aperture…which darkens and enriches, to a point.
    good luck, mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand where it is really difficult to see any difference between lenses. The kit lens (one that comes with the camera) really seems to cover 95% percent of everything I want to take a pictures of. My 105 macro lens, I can tell a difference when using it for close-ups. Really nice! My only other lens is a 70-300 which now that I think about it, I haven't used it in a long time. Hmmm.... anyway, they cover the other 5% of my usage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I knew every shot you took! Until 2012, I lived down about 20 miles south of Menominee in Oconto, WI for 17 years. Did all our shopping up in Marinette and Menominee. Hope your presentation shoot goes well!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you out using your new camera. As for snow photos, the photographer at my local ski area told me I should overexpose by one stop when shooting in snow. Give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on gettting a 70D, I have had one a few months now though was really pee*d off when they brought the price down a couple of weeks after. The Q button is a good Iidea but watch out for the white ballence shift, I managed to stop down a couple of stops darker over the weekend and wondered what the photos were all dark. Was not till I got home I found the problem now I'm having to edit the photos. Have you tried the touch screen , it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete