NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Out and About in Appleton

The downside to life in Menominee for Katrina is there aren't a lot of places to go for entertainment.  Once our plan for the ice caves went out the window we didn't have a lot of other options, especially in the winter.  Even Green Bay doesn't have much to do, strangely enough.  So we drove an hour and a half to Appleton for a shopping trip to the Fox River Mall and a visit to the History Museum at the Castle.


The History Museum at the Castle has been on my list for awhile.  After our visit I'm glad I never made a special trip for it.  While the building looks like it will be interesting from the outside, there wasn't much going on inside.


The "Metamorph Lion," a part of the public art project, "Lions of the Valley," was donated to the museum and began its display on the front lawn in 2007.  I looked for more information online but wasn't able to determine where any of the other lions are located except throughout the Fox Valley area.



Admission to the museum is $7.50 each for adults.  I love a small museum, but this one was very dry and dull, unfortunately.  We tried to drag it out, but I don't think we were inside more than 15 minutes.  The permanent exhibit on Houdini was somewhat interesting.  Houdini was not born in Appleton but claims it as his hometown.


If you had kids along it could be fun trying out all the interactive exhibits.


The other exhibits in the museum were of good quality, but just not very interesting.


With the kind of weather we've been having I did find this photograph inspiring.  At least our winter hasn't looked quite like that one!


There was a display box with vintage Valentines inside by the entrance.  Time for them to get their Easter related exhibit out, but I did get a kick out of seeing them.


The mall was jam-packed, we were not the only ones who felt it was the only thing around to do on a Saturday.  After our shopping was done we ate dinner at the Stone Cellar Brew Pub.  Very crowded, but very good too.  Katrina has been there multiple times now and enjoys their beer as well as their organic meals.

Today I'm back home and it's all about cooking and cleaning.  No more cupcakes around so I made a batch of Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie bars to enjoy while watching "Catching Fire" which I bought a copy of yesterday.  I'll have to wait until November to see "The Mockingjay" in theaters.  I've been watching "True Detective" on HBO and am realizing that Woody Harrelson is a much more versatile actor than I ever gave him credit for.  Big difference between goofy Woody from Cheers, alcoholic mentor Haymitch in "The Hunger Games" and detective Marty Hart with his complex mix of personal flaws and moral dedication to protecting children in the line of his police work.  Haven't watched it yet?  Catch it on HBO, you won't be sorry.  I think the finale for the first season airs tonight, as well as a new episode of "Girls".  Sunday is the best night for TV this time of year, I won't miss Matt LeBlanc on "Episodes" or "Shameless" on Showtime either!  And all while Wayne works second shift tonight so he doesn't have to wonder why I watch dramas when he'll only watch comedies.

A big thanks to those who commented on my Raynaud's situation, as well as those who've been chiming in with photography tips.  One of the reasons for writing this blog is to connect with others out there and it's great to be finding people who share my interests as well as those who can relate to life's little irritating surprises!

2 comments:

  1. Even though there wasn't much going on, I'll bet it was great to spend the weekend with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to an Awesome place the weekend though the Museums were not up to much so I know where you coming from there.

    ReplyDelete