NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Mauthe Lake - the Wild and the Not So Wild

The last few weeks I camped a few times as I traveled around Wisconsin for work, including at Mauthe Lake. Before I even got to the entrance I was greeted by some Sandhill Cranes.  I'm so excited to be including more bird pictures now that I know Judy is still out there reading blogs!


The Marsh Marigolds and Skunk Cabbage were up, the mosquitoes surely won't be far behind. This is one campground I avoid after May because it is perfect breeding habitat for the little suckers.

Caution, does not smell like a rose

But a week ago the Ice Age Trail winding atop the esker was quiet except for the sound of startled deer taking off through the woods and the song of many frogs.


I hiked for about half an hour, keeping an eye on the sky with rain in the forecast and night approaching.

Yes, this picture is level!

Count Road GGG which goes to Mauthe Lake is under some serious construction, so be prepared.  Where the IAT crossed the road I came upon some horses who were nice enough to pose for me.


I got back to my tent just in time - about a minute after I zipped myself inside the sky opened up and it poured all night long.  I got a text from Wayne saying they were getting a severe thunderstorm with hail but luckily it only rained by me.  Twin Lakes was not so lucky and we got hail damage to our house, the camper and even Wayne's truck.  That's what insurance is for, and all can be fixed.  I sure am glad though that I didn't wake up to hail while in my tent!


No comments:

Post a Comment