NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Bunkering

My Uncle Steve shares my love of Argentia lore, as a matter of fact he's the local expert on all things Argentia so when he offered to take me exploring I pulled on me rubber boots and off we went.

Adventure Lovers

There seems to be a notion among many that this 2 story bunker was used as a hospital, but more likely the fortified bunker was used as a Command and Control (CNC) center for the two coastal defense batteries nearby.  After checking out the lower level we did ascend 54 stairs to the lookout room.


I am borrowing this description from Hidden Newfoundland: The bunker is about 50 metres long and extends into the hill about 20 metres. There are two entrances side by side of each other. After entering there is a long hallway that leads perpendicular to the entrances. On the back side there is one large room and on the other there are several smaller rooms.

Walking to the far right after entering there is a set of stairs that bring you up almost three storys to a "look-out battery" located above the bunker overlooking the base.


I was surprised by the lack of mildew smell, but I suppose with the structure being all concrete there isn't much there to rot.


Lots of graffiti to read while you have a look around, most of it focused on the always popular penis genre.  I spared my readers from the worst of it, I try to run a PG blog here. Today I'm counting the graffiti as a mural effort and linking to Monday Mural.


I tested out the rungs going up to the hatch and they are sound as can be, and I also had a look out the gun holes but the trees have grown tall enough that the view of the harbor was obscured.  When we exited the bunker we climbed up top for a view of course.  After our look around we darted through the raindrops to the truck and I got a tour of what used to be where and it's amazing how much bigger Argentia is than it appears at first glance. Building of the base began in 1941 and by 1943 more than 12,000 American military personnel were stationed at the Argentia base which extended  over 3,392 acres!


If you want to see my other posts about Argentia and the U.S. Naval Base once located there here is a list.

The Argentia Story Begins
Walk in Argentia
Argentia Before the Americans - Walking in Grandad's Backyard
Argentia - The Americans Arrive and How do I get there?



5 comments:

  1. Very brave of you to go down into those tunnels Pam.
    Thanks for contributing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up Argentia before I went any further along reading so I’d be sure I knew what you were talking about and Wiki told me it was a seaport and industrial park in Placenia Newfoundland and Labrador. WHAT? How can it be in both places?? I did read the interesting history but how you get from Plaisance to Placentia and why you would like Placenta in your name are beyond me. Finally I realized you were talking about the WWII history. Talk about a take over though I suppose so many jobs were very welcome.

    Love the picture of you and your uncle. GREAT boots!! I laughed out loud at the graffiti “genre” and “mural effort”. Absolutely great humor!!

    Thanks for the list of previous posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like exploring an old bunker like that

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...pulled on me rubber boots" Love it!

    ReplyDelete