NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Daily Walk at Daley Ranch

When I first arrived in San Diego I spent too much time visiting and next thing you know I was driving to Dixon Lake Recreation Area and had to set up in the dark.  Luckily I was driving very slowly or I would have gone right off precipice when I turned into my site! It was a little unnerving, but after parking my car between the drop off and my tent I was able to relax and enjoy this view of Escondido from my precarious new home.


In the morning I was amazed to see what I had missed as I puttered up the winding road in the dark!


I stayed there 4 nights, and while I can't recommend the seriously scary bathrooms or showers (many thanks to my wonderful cousins for use of their magnificent facilities!), the campsites were fine at a reasonable $25 and the campground has access to Daley Ranch which is a hub for hikers, bikers and runners.  And of course the lake is accessible to those who wish to go fishing.



I didn't see a lot of wildlife on my trip to the desert, just a few lizards and lots of what I assume were Desert Cottontails.

Silly bunny, sitting still doesn't make you invisible!
 
Somehow I spied this caterpillar on one of the flowering plants!  Maybe my friends from Where the Wind Goes will chime in with an identification in the comment section.  



Since I get notified of their blog posts by email they are one of only two blogs I have kept up on in the last few months.  To everyone else my apologies but I will be catching up soon, I swear!  I've turned into a blog binger, kind of like Netflix but with reading!


Speaking of flowering things, there was a lot of  Yucca whipplei to enjoy, also know as Our Lord's Candle and Chaparral Yucca.


The spike grows 1-2 m tall from the base whose spiky blades up close reveal lovely colors.


The Diegueno and Cahuilla used the fibers for sandals while the Chumash and the Gabrielino used it for fishing line. Whole or split yucca leaves were also utilized for rough tying of bundles of firewood, house frames, and for basketry. 


After it is done flowering cluster of green fruit capsules are visible which the Antelope Ground Squirrel will eat.  Eventually it will split open and release the seeds, though the plant also can grow from offshoots.


From the seed the plant takes 5 or more years to reach maturity, flower and then die.  It is worth the wait...

Taller than I was!

Hundreds of flowers put on a stunning show before the plant ends its cycle, and not only do the bees and moths love them, but they are edible after boiling and supposed to be sweet tasting.  Sadly I did not get to taste them, just enjoy their subtle perfume while walking under the bright California sun!



3 comments:

  1. Those pod can be roasted...they taste sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great view as long as you don't fall into it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole and Darlene inform me that the caterpillar is probably a Western Tussock, thanks for the help, Ladies!

    ReplyDelete