NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, December 9, 2018

Haul on Yer Gran-Mudder's Boots

Before I forget I want to thank Barbara Rogers for her comment on "mother-in-law tongue", I've never heard of it and will look into it!  I too suffer from dust/mold allergies so I tend to be in and out of antique shops quickly but it's always fun to have a look around.

Panoramic shot of the Ambrose Shea bridge from Placentia as the snow starts to fall

But let's get to the promised wintry Newfoundland photos, shall we?


On the way out from St. John's yesterday I stopped in the middle of the road to take a picture of all the Christmas trees that will greet you if you to decide to visit this time of year.

Breaking a path through the snow

After their large snowfall a few days ago a few more centimeters came down last night so this morning I couldn't wait to get out for a walk in the woods in Argentia.  There is only so much one can fit into their suitcase so I hauled on my Nan's boots and off I went.  The locals are smarter than I am and take their walks along the road, but I knew the paths up through Argentia would provide solitude and shield me from some wind.


It's not often I spy something and say "Oh that looks like______", so when I saw this sawed off tree with some snow covered branches I had to stop for a photograph.  I swung my boot back and forth through the snow until I hit the gravel beneath and dug out a few rocks for the eyes and nose!  The spirit of one of Santa's reindeer perhaps?


Here's my footprint going up the hill a half hour or so earlier on the right next to my returning imprint on the way down.  The wind was filling them in fairly quickly.

One of the many bunkers in Argentia

 I decided to have a look-see at a bunker I passed, finally lucky enough to come upon an open door when bright light was spilling inside.

Concrete like new, never know it was 80 years old

Forty five minutes of plunging through the soft snow ranging from 6 inches to a foot in some spots and I was ready to get back to a warm kitchen and a nice cuppa tea with my Nan.


But first I had to stop and admire the view of Red Island. Look at the wind making whitecaps out on the bay. Thanks to that wind the air temperature felt like 9F instead of 24F according to the Weather Channel.  No wonder I wanted to hide out in the woods.


No trips out across the bay at this time of the year, thank you very much.  But that's okay, lot's to see and do right here, even if I have to do it in a borrowed pair of boots!


1 comment:

  1. You're quite welcome, Pam, for the suggested indoor plant. I love these shots, especially the 3rd one. And then you walked on a moose's footsteps! You are still hardy enough to enjoy outdoors (even in borrowed boots!) I don't look forward to dealing with snow on my porch, and hope someone (apartment maintenance) will take care of it eventually.

    ReplyDelete