NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Third Falls Again

A day or two late, but as promised here is what Third Falls looked like when I went back again last month!

Have to wear gloves when touching those cold rocks now!

This time I knew where the path was, so I paid a bit more attention to the surrounding hills and woods...

No trouble for a moose to head straight up

As I got closer to Third Falls I stuck to the right side of the brook instead of crossing over to the end of the path.

The last few yellow leaves above the falls


Not much to be done about a straight drop off a cliff, but the other side of the brook was accessible with a little careful manuevering.



As I said, the drop is about six feet, so after I got to the boulder I just had to find a few handholds and clamber up to see what was beyond the falls.


Hey, look at me!  Exploring new places!  This is where Wayne would roll his eyes and tell me I'm such a weirdo.


He may call me a weirdo, but if I left the house without an orange jacket this time of year I'd have to hear a lecture about how he doesn't want me shot because someone mistook me for a moose.  I'm pretty sure he loves my kind of weird.


What was beyond the falls?  More water, more rocks, more woods...

If you want dry boots, keep looking down!

Picking my way over boulders and ducking in and out of the woods...someone sitting at the end with a cup of hot tea and that sums up a dream hike!


Undeterred when the rocks would disappear, I picked over fallen logs and pushed aside tree branches because I heard more water falling ahead.


In the Midwest we called it a cascade, I'm sure they call it something else here.  Either way, it was a nice reward for my efforts.


But once again daylight was starting to fade and this time of year it goes a lot quicker.  


I thought about crossing the tree...even got on top of it before having to scoot backward awkwardly because I could tell I was more likely to fall off than stay on! 

Next post I'll share some photos I took this weekend on our 30th ANNIVERSARY!

1 comment:

  1. Nice falls, we seem to get t falls after a long period of no rain...and no water:)

    ReplyDelete