NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Harrington Beach State Park...and Good Food at Last!

I got up last Tuesday morning, went for a short walk along the beach at Point Beach, and then spent five minutes packing up my campsite and heading out. Have I mentioned how much I love camping in my tent cot?!

I had a hair appointment scheduled for the afternoon in Kenosha, but wanted to stop off at Harrington Beach State Park since I'd be passing it on my way. It was different than other Wisconsin State Parks in that the campground is quite a distance away from the beach. They run a shuttle service back and forth on the weekends, apparently. The road system looks good for biking, as long as the traffic wasn't heavy like it probably is on the weekend. But, I was here on a sunny Tuesday morning and the campground was less than half full and the beach was practically deserted. There is a trail system that parallels the beach if you want to get out of the sun for a bit.



The park is the site of an old limestone quarry and a trail also winds around the quarry lake. No fishing or swimming allowed though! Spaced out along the shuttle bus road between the quarry lake and the beach are informational plaques about the quarry and the employee town that used to be there. It was a nice little stop and I was impressed especially with the beach which I felt rivaled anything in Door County without the Door County crowds. But, let's keep that secret amongst ourselves, okay?


By the time I left Harrington Beach State Park on Tuesday I was STARVING from lack of anything substantial to eat for the prior 3 days. But I held on until I made it to Kenosha because I knew that the world's best panini was waiting for me at Tenuta's on 52nd Street. They have an outdoor cafe area but I also needed to pick up a few Italian groceries so I went into the store to order my Portabella Mushroom 3 cheese panini. It may not look like much, but my taste buds were so grateful, let me tell ya! I topped it off with a handful of Tenuta's dark chocolate covered walnuts....heaven! I also brought home a pound of the best smoked gouda I've found in the state so I could make my own paninis at home.



2 comments:

  1. A portabella three cheese panini sounds marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you found a good place to camp. And the panini looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete