NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Why I Refuse to buy popcorn from Boy Scouts

I posted a comment on my Facebook page showing my disappointment that Boy Scouts of America is still standing firm in their discrimination against gays, whether they be children or male or female adult leaders. A family member of mine just commented in reply that Boy Scouts is for boys and Girl Scouts is for girls and if gays don't want to stay in the closet they should form their own organization. Last time I checked gay boys were boys, right?

As a former Girl Scout leader I could not imagine the heartbreak of having to exclude a child due to their feeling the need to be honest about who they really were, not to mention having to be the one providing the environment where discrimination was part of the agenda.  As a Girl Scout leader I helped my girls try new things and gain confidence by encouraging their independence and unique voices. It didn't matter whether I or anyone else in the troop agreed with everything they said or believed, Girl Scouts is about making girls into the women of tomorrow. I only wish Boy Scouts of America had such aspirations.


If encouraging homophobia and discrimination is how they're creating a better world for the future, someone needs to tell them that's the world of the past and we're ready to move on from hate and exclusion. Every time I refuse to buy popcorn I look the leader in the eye and say I don't support Boy Scouts because they discriminate.



 Weren't those some happy looking young ladies?  Those girls loved each other, flaws (real or imagined) included. We had girls who had family troubles, girls who had difficulties at school, and one girl who was incredibly allergic to mosquitoes so couldn't camp with us. All were made to feel welcome and they all looked to us adults to set the tone in regards to inclusion and tolerance. Those girls watched and learned from every thing we said and did and sometimes that responsibility terrified me, but mostly it was just a joy to spend time with them.

By the way, the CEO of AT&T, Randall Stephenson, executive board member of the Boy Scouts of America, said he was committed to ending the ban. He takes over as president in 2012, according to Wahls. I sure hope this is true, but he's been "working toward ending the ban" for the past two years and failed already. I can't imagine being part of an organization that openly teaches children that only some people are valuable citizens. I was a proud member of the Girl Scouts of America and support their mission: building girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. I hope someday the Boy Scouts of America feel the same way, but until then it's all about the cookies and not the popcorn for me!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. I agree.

    I was a Camp Fire Girl leader for a year and we had a blast. Good memories.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post and such great photographs! My daughter is a girl scout and proud of it. Her troop includes girls with two mommies and I know if any of them wanted to lead, we'd all be thrilled. I am so glad Girl Scouts of America understands the importance of equality, that it is an American Value.

    My son, for his own set of reasons, has never shown an interest in boy scouts and now I am appreciative. I don't understand how that organization can get away with teaching young people such negativity. Homophobia is a decidedly un-family value.

    ReplyDelete