NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, July 15, 2013

Barn Country

While driving from East Troy to Eagle on a county road on my recent camping trip I spied this beautiful barn.


I took a page from John's book and turned up the driveway and introduced myself to the owners.  John likes to talk to the locals and his blog has lots of colorful characters he runs into during his travels. The barn owners own an antique business in the area and were willing to share a few details about the property and let me wander a teeny bit for a closer look.  The barn is German made like many in this region and they weren't sure when it was built, but the house dates back to the 1850's I believe they said.  They've done a wonderful job restoring that, but I didn't take any pics to respect their privacy.



We talked about local and statewide architecture a bit, and it was fun to chat with someone who shares your enthusiasm for history.  Restoration for the barn would be extensive and expensive and they have no current plans to tackle the job.  The owner expressed his feelings that this is a shame, but unfortunately you can't save them all.  The stone foundation on this barn is like the leaning tower of Pisa these days.



Can you believe how thick those walls are?  The animals were probably pretty comfy during the long cold winters in Wisconsin.  Tomorrow I leave for my next camping trip, but I'll try to remember to post about the East Troy Electric Railroad before I go.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - what a cool barn! How neat that the owners let you explore and photograph it. Too bad they can't afford to restore it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the UK they would cnage the use and restore the barn in to houseing. Looks very neat though.

    ReplyDelete