NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Milwaukee's City Hall


Seen from almost everywhere as I zigzagged back and forth across the river in Milwaukee is City Hall.  It was built in 1895 and became a National Historical Landmark in 2005.  It is 393 feet tall and the Flemish Rennaisance structure required 8 million bricks.


City Hall is currently being restored, and while a Sunday visit meant I got this great shot of the empty entrance, it also meant I couldn't go inside to see more.


The bell tower has a bell in it that is ten times the weight of the Liberty Bell and about the same size as London's Big Ben.  It was made in Milwaukee in 1896 and is composed of 77% Lake Superior copper and 23% East India tin.  It was loaded on a wagon and pulled by six horses to its new home at City Hall.  To learn more about the history of the bell in the tower, click here.


Click here to learn more about touring City Hall, including a video tour.  I know I'm going back to see more!  The restoration means she'll be around another hundred years, but I don't think I'll wait that long.

1 comment: