NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, December 17, 2015

San Diego Flashback

It's hard to believe on a chilly day in the Midwest but once upon a time I was a California girl.


I've been watching a lot of reruns of  "That 70's Show", which in addition to all those Wisconsin references (like Bob saying "the evil spilling over from Sheboygan") has the added bonus of all the 70's clothes, slang and home decor to marvel over.  

Disneyland!

Since we moved to San Diego right before I started kindergarten I don't know how much slang I was using, but I participated in a few clothing fads including lots of polyester, halter tops and probably even bell bottoms.  I took tap lessons and remember singing and dancing to disco, spinning around to make my bell sleeves fly.  My detailed memories are few, but who could forget going to Disneyland?  And Space Mountain, and Knott's Berry Farm, and Sea World....



Not to mention those trips to the beaches and to the San Diego Zoo.


I do want to go back for a nostalgia tour with my mother, which I wanted to do this winter but it might have to wait until next year.  One of the places that is a must for us to visit is the Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala where I had my First Communion.  


After detailed historical research, in 1931 the Mission was rebuilt to what architects J. E. Loveless and J. Marshall Miller determined was what the 1813 church must have looked like.  The site of the first California mission has an incredible history, if you want to know more check this link.

Those of you who get to San Diego this winter, enjoy that sunshine for this retired California Girl and don't forget to get some sand between your toes.


1 comment:

  1. Loved your trip down memory lane. I'm a bit older than you, so I was dancing disco under the mirror balls and pretending I was dancing with John Travlota. LOL. I also lived in huge bell bottoms and halters.

    ReplyDelete