NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Christmas in Newfoundland - Not Over Yet!

Those Newfies loves them some Christmas!


My sister-in-law greeted me the morning after my arrival all decked up as Mrs. Claus, for heaven's sake.


And when I walked into my Nan's house I was greeted by a tiny line of Santa clothes.


And of course the house was ready for Santa to appear.


If you haven't heard of mummering I wouldn't be surprised.  The tradition had started to die out in Newfoundland but now it's making a comeback.  I wanted to check out the Mummers Parade in St. John's the morning after I arrived but ended up too eager to drive out to my people to stick around for it.  Here's a YouTube video of the parade from 2017:


I think the turn-out in 2018 was higher, and before the parade workshops are offered to help people make "ugly sticks" and get costumed up.  Mid-December is a bit early for mummers to visit your house but even though I missed the mummers parade I did see mummers at the airport...


and I ran into a few at the Senior Dance! And yes, that is my 91 year old Nan dancing with the mummers.  It's hard to keep her off the dance floor.


Here is my video from the dance, I was surprised by their arrival so wasn't really expecting to have to film, but glad I made a quick attempt.


Nan also got a present, and a kiss, from Santa Claus!


My cousin and I made the rounds visiting, getting to admire many trees and drink many cups of tea.


I can't wait until next year when we will all be home for the whole Christmas season which lasts until Old Christmas Day on January 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment