NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Downtown Lafayette Surprises



On our way to Kentucky we swung through downtown Lafayette in Indiana for a look around. We were surprised to find some sculptures, some murals and a great courthouse building.  Get off the highway, folks!


In its earliest days Lafayette was a frontier town and shipping center on the Wabash River.  The Wabash and Erie Canal stimulated trade in the 1840's and the railroad arrived in the 1850's which expanded opportunities even further.  I'll be sharing more history of this town in the next post with my photos from the County Courthouse building.

Federal building entrance, home to the USPS

Here's a little postal history to go with the 2 murals located in the U.S. Post Office lobby: Lafayette was the site of the first official air mail delivery in the United States, which took place on August 17, 1859, when John Wise piloted a balloon starting on the Lafayette courthouse grounds. Wise hoped to reach New York; however, weather conditions forced the balloon down near Crawfordsville, Indiana, and the mail reached its final destination by train. In 1959, the U.S. Postal Service issued a 7¢ airmail stamp commemorating the centennial of the event.

"Sad News" by Henrik Martin Mayer, 1936


I'd like to take a moment to thank Barbara for all her comments, it's been fun reading them!  I don't get a lot of comments here on the blog, which isn't a complaint.  Not only have I not commented on other blogs in almost a year...I haven't even had time to READ any blogs on my reading list!

"Rural Delivery" by Henrik Martin Mayer, 1936

My excuse? Truthfully I need to quit watching so much TV.  But I find that after work I'm so tired I can't concentrate well enough to read a blog, much less a book. I used to make fun of my parents for falling asleep on the couch while they were watching TV and now I nod off there almost every night and have to rewind the show I was watching!


I know these are drama masks, and expertly done to make it look like they are the brick wall itself, but every time I look at them I think "If you don't laugh, you'd cry". Curious about the origin of the saying I googled it, and came across this interesting scientific article on how laughing affects our physiology. Or you can watch this adorable BBC clip about making Bonobos laugh!


3 comments:

  1. Been there though did not get much time to look around, I was working at Perdu University

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had time to take these wonderful pictures. I've never seen Mayer's art, and I really like it. The figures look as if they are formed in clay, or plastic...that plasticity of rounding everything with shadows...I like them. Thanks for recognition. I have the same problem, but not with TV when I'm tired. I'm already in bed and listening to an audio book when I fall asleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The author's post on their visit to Lafayette, Indiana is a great example of how taking a detour from a main road can lead to unexpected discoveries. The author's surprise at finding sculptures, murals, and a courthouse building in downtown Lafayette highlights the charm and uniqueness of small American towns. San Luis Obispo DUI Attorney

    The post also provides some interesting historical information about Lafayette, including its early days as a frontier town and shipping center on the Wabash River. The author's mention of the town's role in the first official air mail delivery in the United States is also fascinating.

    The author's gratitude towards a commenter and their admission of not having much time to read or comment on other blogs is relatable and adds a personal touch to the post.

    Overall, the post serves as a reminder that there are hidden gems to be found in even the most unassuming of places and encourages readers to take the road less traveled.

    ReplyDelete