NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Foster Falls

On my way down to Georgia I stopped to camp overnight at the Foster Falls campground in Tennessee.

Foster Falls 

Not only did I neglect to get a photograph of the campground and my campsite, I didn't have my battery charged on my DSLR so all my photos come from my new iPhone X.  The campground had 26 rustic campsites ideal for tents or small trailers, is open year round and had a shower house that was in very shaky condition but better a run down shower house with flush toilet than none at all.  No electricity, but reservations can be made online through the South Cumberland State Park website and you couldn't beat $8 for a place to sleep!


Of course as soon as I set up I used the short connector path to access the trailhead that leads down to the base of the 60 foot falls.


Picking my way down the slope was slow but not difficult, winding along the edge of the pool was much easier.


I had lots to see at my feet as I hopped from rock to rock, and I got pretty close to the falls before turning back and crossing the bridge.


After crossing the bridge I headed to the left to see where the creek led.


It's not hard hiking, but you have to keep watching where you put your feet, obstacles are plenty.


I could have kept going, but it looked like rain might be on the way and I was happy to have gotten some exercise after being in the car all day.

River on the left, lichen everywhere!

I shared the campground with a couple of groups of rock climbers, you can't miss 'em with their gear hanging off their waists.  They all seemed pretty happy to be there, rain or no rain.

Climbing gear at base of cliffs

After crossing back over the bouncy bridge I eyed to rock "stairs" skeptically.


I turned back for one last look at the falls and caught sight of some children playing, who knows what adventures they imagined they were having...I used to pretend I was being hunted by Nazis!  I must have been reading too much historical fiction even back then.


When you're done hanging around at Foster Falls nearby Tracy City is only a 15 minute drive away and I can recommend the Dari Delight, believe it or not.  Their "half" panini was twice the size of any sandwich I normally eat and was only $3.99!  It tasted great too!

3 comments:

  1. Nice waterfall! I like the rocky gorge too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exemplar falls, Foster. I can almost hear the roar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like some very impressive falls to visit

    ReplyDelete