NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Sunnyside

This post is from a hike I took in October

On my way across the island I made sure to take time for a few new hikes, starting with the town of Sunnyside.

A little rock I painted waits to be discovered

Centre Hill is a Sunnyside landmark and the highest peak in eastern Newfoundland. The trail starts 8 km from the Trans Canada Highway at the far end of the community.  Basically just drive until the road ends at a wharf, the parking area and trailhead are just before the wharf.


The trail starts out as a gradual but continuous incline through the forest. While you have to watch out for tangled roots don't forget to look up now and then to see if you get a view through the trees!


The group of ladies who started out behind me soon caught up to me and passed me.  Us photographers are slow hikers.


It was probably only about a 15 minute walk through the trees and then more climbing along an old road with views out across the barrens.


 The trail is 5 km to the top, but I had miles of pavement to eat so I had to turn around at the river and let the ladies go on without me.


From there, you will enjoy a spectacular vista and a glimpse of five different bays, but I had to settle for this view and promise myself I'd return in the summer to go to the top.




1 comment: