NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, March 2, 2020

Dodging Snowflakes

I planned my work trip with fingers crossed, and kept a close eye on the weather as the date approached.  A March trip across the Maritimes means being flexible and dodging snowflakes.

Leafeon on top of snowman, Dragonair with Dratini below

I stopped in Sunnyside and Clarenville to deliver rocks to the parents of Harry Potter and Pokemon fans who have admired my work, and then it was straight on for Deer Lake before a snowstorm.

Had to stop for a beautiful photo op at South Brook

Cozy Wood Cottages in Reidville just outside Deer Lake is a third the price of Holiday Inn Express and you get a 2 bedroom cottage all to yourself.  And some local artwork to admire.


The next morning I watched the snow falling for a few hours before hauling on my boots and snowpants and tackling a bit of the Humber River Nature Trail nearby.


An hour of stumbling through 4-6 inches of fresh snowfall should have made up for hours of binging "Atypical" on Netflix, right?


The following day the snow was done and it was off to Corner Brook where I hid my rocks at Tippings Pond, Bowater Park and the Glynmill Inn.


At the Inn I met up with an aunt of Wayne's that hasn't seen him since he was in grade school. We talked about a lot things, including her late husband Newfoundland poet and playwright Al Pittman. He is the author of the play "West Moon" which was performed in Trinity last summer and I hope it runs again this year so I can attend.

photo courtesy of Marilee Pittman

During our conversation I couldn't take my eyes off the mural in the Carriage Room of the Glynmill Inn.  Marilee told me that it was painted by Stewart Montgomerie, someone they had known personally.


From Corner Brook it was onward to the ferry at Channel Port-Aux-Basques, passing through glorious mountain valleys and dodging more snowflakes here and there.


At last I made it aboard the ferry, and after placing a painted puffin in a hallway nook I was off to my cabin to dream of snowy mountains as we crossed the Gulf of St. Lawrence to Nova Scotia.


Linking up to Monday Mural

1 comment:

  1. That carriage and horses mural is spectacular Pam.
    Your painted rocks are so cute and the art at the cottage very pretty too.
    Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete