NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Terra Nova's Louil Hill Trail

On my last road trip across the island for work in October I stopped at Terra Nova Provincial Park for a hike on the Louil Hill Trail. From an alder bed to a balsam fir forest to black spruce, just as you might get bored the transitioning forest becomes something new. As it alternates from thick forest to open pockets look for the new growth and stunted looking trees that indicate the impact that moose and rabbit have had on the park’s balsam fir forest.


Most of the trail is a gradual uphill with no obstacles, a nice change for someone who has been crashing through bushes and plunging into mucky bogs. About midway along the 3.7 km loop a set of 140 stairs leads up to the barren hill top of Louil Hill.


Views of Alexander Bay greeted me as I rested and waited for my heartbeat to settle down. 


Normally I would have clambered all over that rock, but I was happy with the workout after hours of driving and just placed a small painted rock at the top of the stairs and headed back down.


At the bottom of the stairs you can either continue along the loop or go back the way you came which is what I did since there were no markers telling me trail length and I didn't want to be gone too long.  I've got miles of pavement to conquer sometimes too.

The trailhead parking area is located about 1 km off the Trans Canada Highway on Hwy 310, come pay Terra Nova a visit!  I'm hoping that enough snow will be melted on my return work trip this month to stop again and try another trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment