NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, February 17, 2014

Not Just Grafitti

back of building

I've often admired the urban grafritti some of the Monday Mural posters get to display.  Everyone has their opinion on the validity of the its worthiness as "art".  Me, I think it has its place and I love it as much as the rest of the murals.  I like that even the higher minded stuff originated on a back alley with a kid and a vision perhaps.


This was one long wall, a whole block long, that I saw from the main road in Midtown Reno as we drove by.  When we pulled behind the building and I got a really good look I was shocked at the complexity. I can't decide whether each "panel" was done by a different artist or the same artist portraying different ideas.

side of building, section 1

I love the graveyard and the cityscape in the background of this one.

section 2

section 3

section 4

Pretty neat, huh?  Happy Monday!

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting... although I am a creative person, I don't think I could use that kind of medium and tools to create such complex artwork. Great detail and expression, even if I don't always understand the message.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, some of this is rather scary but at least it's colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you can see by the "tags" that it's several different artists. At least it rises above the average, so it's tolerable. Otherwise, I've never been a big fan of graffiti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful brightness and some unforgettable faces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of planning and forethought went into this work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one amazing wall. A lot work went into this mural.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness! Some very intricate work going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - that is pretty amazing! If it's graffiti, it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd swear that some of those ghouls can also be found in Oakland. Share your sentiments. It seems respect for this type of work grows the longer you look at it. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is harsh on the eyes. Some ggod stuff in it though

    ReplyDelete