NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Spring Beauty on the Appalachian Trail


I don't know how much of the Appalachian Trail I'll hike in my lifetime, but I figured I had to start somewhere.


Most of the hikers I met on the AT are hard core - one asked me if I was on my way to Maine.  I told him I'd like to be but I didn't think 24 ounces of water would get me there.  The AT passes through 14 states and was one of the major undertakings of the Depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps.

Bluets
I didn't get very far...maybe a half mile in heading toward Maine from the Newfound Gap parking lot before I turned back.  I was only there to find a few new wildflowers I wasn't seeing at the lower elevations.

Spring Beauty

I turned around so quickly because it didn't take long for the wildflowers to peter out and some really rugged trail to set in.


I did jog across Newfound Gap Road before returning to my car to check out what was on the other side...kind of like the chicken who crossed the road, maybe?  Apparently this is the only place for 70 miles where the trail crosses a road.  Better have packed wisely, my hiking friends!

Trout Lily

Besides the great view in the first few feet there wasn't much else to see.  The trail looked like something I'd enjoy a little later in the year and I've made a note to have Wayne drop me off on another visit so I can hike the 7.9 mile stretch to Clingman's Dome.  Maybe we'll have hiking buddies by then who will even want to join us and we can do a shuttle and all go.  Any takers?



5 comments:

  1. wonderful botanicals Pam; enjoy these walk with you - saves my hips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet little flowers. For sure, the Appalachian trail is pretty rough. I've done a couple miles in various states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter did Clingmans Dome in the fall. She said it was strenuous. I would love to do that one day.

    I also want to hike a section of the AT - that has always been my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well of course you have a taker!! I do strongly suggest that we be dropped at Clingman's Dome and walk BACK to Newfound Gap. You don't want to walk that any other way. Truthfully, it isn't a very scenic stretch of the AT. But we'll figure all that out when you come back next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll join you, as well. Sharon's right--the way to go is DOWN HILL from Clingman's Dome to Newfound Gap. One of my favorite stretches of the AT in the Smokies is northbound, like your hike, from Newfound Gap to Charlies Bunion. Like you said, it's rugged trail, but I just love that high elevation fir forest, the dampness, and the moss.

    ReplyDelete