NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Traipsing Around Tremont

After I left Mom and Annmarie to go do their own thing in Cades Cove I headed over to the Institute in Tremont.  When I was hiking with my pals on Curry Mountain Trail Gene mentioned that there was supposed to be some Jack in the Pulpit up behind the Institute on an unmarked trail so I thought I'd traipse around the woods and see what I could find.


I peeked in on a couple of unmarked paths, but ended up taking the Lumber Ridge Trailhead to the trail that heads out to Spruce Flats Falls.  As with almost every hike I've been on I had the trail to myself for most of the time.  I passed two guys coming out who told me to "be careful" out there.

Pennywort at the trailhead

The trail got a little rocky, a little narrow, and in some spots a little steep.  Add some on and off again rain to the mix and it was a nice little adventure.  Good thing I brought along my umbrella.



At one point the rain was coming down really hard, but there wasn't any lightning so I pressed on.  I got a phone call from Katrina when I was approaching this cool staircase.  She happened to call me every day when I was on the one point in the trail that actually had cell service.  How did she do that?


My persistence paid off and I arrived at the falls right when the only other people there were leaving.


My new camera is so great that I don't even have to bother with taking any tripod with me.  Thank goodness because the camera and lenses are heavy enough without adding any extra weight.


The rocks were wet but easy to get around on to get the shots that I wanted, but I could see why the other hikers had warned me to be careful and I used good judgment.

Lower falls

I did set up the Gorillapod for a shot of the falls that included me, even though I was a wet, muddy, frizzy mess.

Upper falls

As I was starting the 1.5 mile trek back to the Institute I heard a little rustling beside me.  I caught the slightest movement out of the corner of my eye and spotted this fella.


All the little critters I see would be hard to catch with companions along to distract me.  I enjoyed my quiet moment with the amphibian who thought that if he just held still enough I'd never see him.  Still, it's not going to be the same at home...I might finally have to look into joining the Kettle Moraine hiking group.

I didn't find the Jack in the Pulpit, but I would have never known about this trail to the falls if I wasn't looking for a patch of wildflowers.  Sometimes it's better finding what you weren't looking for, right?

We finished our drive home today, but don't worry, I still have at least a week's worth of posts about our trip left to share!

6 comments:

  1. Great waterfall photos. You know how to capture that effect. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new camera is a winner--what did you get? And what is a gorillapod? Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the one hike I wanted to take you on and am so glad you found it on your own. It is one of my favorite waterfalls in the park. You are so very lucky to have had it to yourself for even a short amount of time as it is usually filled to the brim with school kids from Tremont. They tried to keep this trail a secret for many years, but people found out about it anyway and were getting hurt on the unimproved manway surface. Imagine what it was like hiking on it before ANY of the steps or rails were added. There was lots of scooting and crawling! Glad you are back home safe. So glad we got to see each other twice. I'll look forward to many more hikes in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous hike and beautiful scenery; the falls beautiful --- glad you're enjoying your new camea; good to see you in some pics too Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear you're back home. Sounds like you got out before some nasty weather. Great waterfall pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trail at Tremont was one of the last one's we did when we visited SMNP two years ago ... I thought those steps carved into the tree trunk were so cool.

    ReplyDelete