NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, May 11, 2014

I Hear a Bzzzzzz-ing


Moraine Ridge trail

As I mentioned earlier, last week we jumped right past spring weather and landed in summer temps in the 70's and 80's.  They didn't have the wildflower walk this Saturday so it's okay that I didn't end up camping at Kettle Moraine.  I did make the drive up on Saturday though with the intention of doing a little hiking.


The parking lot at Scuppernong Trails was crowded (6 cars as opposed to the weekday 1-3!) so I opted to cross the road and give the Moraine Ridge Trail a try.  It's mostly flat and very wide since it's used for horses and snowmobiles mainly.


It ended up being a little too flat and wide (i.e. boring) for my tastes so I crossed the road again and hopped on the Ice Age Trail for that closed in Pine woodsy feel that I love.


Studies have shown that humans have a tendency to prefer wide open vistas as opposed to forests or jungles.  Something to do with biological survival skills in being able to more easily spot lurking predators.  The deeper and darker the woods the happier I am.  What does that say about me?

Smell of pine with every step

Picked some more Garlic Mustard, of course

The ranger at the Headquarters told me we were "in a gap" as far as wildflowers go, but I did see this one small patch of Wood Anemone.



And this lovely patch of violets just past the Ice Age Trailhead.  On my way out to the parking area I crossed paths with a budding naturalist who stopped in his tracks and said, "I hear something."   Mom and I waited to see what he heard and then he pronounced,  "it's a bzzzzz-ing."  I heard birds, Mom heard the traffic on the road, but he heard the bumblebees hovering lazily over the few flowers on the trail.


Here are the birds I heard while on the trail.  You might have to turn it up high to hear. Happy Mother's Day!


2 comments:

  1. I heard a wood thrush for sure, and maybe on ovenbird and chipping sparrow?? Didn't hear any bees though. ;) That was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved hearing your birds. I defer to Judy although I too could identify the wood thrush. My favorite habitat is anything with water but the VERY best is a wooded shoreline. Sort of the way to entire Atlantic coast used to be. Not much for open savannas myself. Hmmmm wonder who "they" are that are so sure about what we prefer??

    ReplyDelete