NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Porter's Creek With Darlene and Deena

You know why I wanted to hike at Porter's Creek, don't you?

The one and only pink Lady Slipper found

I wasn't able to get my Mom and her cousins to go along, but I did get new friends Darlene and Deena to go.  Porter's Creek is easy-peasy as far as hikes go here in the Smokies.  It was 5.4 miles round trip but the time flew with fun folks to talk to and such a wide almost level trail.

Cantrell farmstead stone walls

Greenbrier is one of my favorite areas of the park.  The landscape is beautiful and it's less populated with tourists.

Ownby Cemetery

An added bonus was a few wildflowers that I hadn't previously seen.

Meadow Parsnip, member of the Parsley family

I was especially taken with the Brook Lettuce.  I took a few beautiful shots...that didn't turn out because I wasn't able to hold the camera steady and too lazy to double check my shot.  This plant is found nowhere else in the world except the region from eastern Pennsylvania to southwestern South Carolina.

Brook lettuce lining Porter's Creek

Last time I was at Porter's Creek it was fall and we spotted that owl, remember?  I wonder what I'll see next time I visit?  Hopefully I'll finally get out to Ramsey Cascades next time.  Or maybe I'll try to follow the creek instead of staying on the trail which ends up high above it.  Those boots would come in handy again for that.

I had to work three days in a row after my return, so this morning I drove out to Kettle Moraine for a ranger-led wildflower hike.  I saw a few wildflowers that I saw in the Smokies, much to my surprise.  I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment